Friday, January 22, 2010

Winter Break



Inspiration Over Break:

Hand-painted cards were given to me by a friend around a year ago but, in the process of re-organization over break, I found them again and realized why I kept them! I am not sure who the artist is but I love the calm aesthetic they give.



Without conscious effort, I found that Vincent Bakkum's work
(of whom I have recently discovered and enjoy) carries some of the same qualities as the cards shown above. Although both of these examples (cards/Bakkum) show the work of a painter, each is applicable to design in a number of ways; color, composition, text, etc.

Although I will admit that I don't have a very green thumb, I found My Favorite Plant at a thrift store and fell in love with the design of the book as a whole. It is divided into 32 sections that each give an individual account of a specific kind of flower (Ex/ Marigold). Each of the sections has a cover page with, in my opinion, beautiful pattern that carries an element of the design onto the adjoining page. The pages are made of a soft, cream paper, the text is quietly placed and includes the small quirk of a leaf-like mark above every "i". The content covers different types of creative writing from poems to personal memoirs. It was definitely one of the most inspiring two dollars I've spent in a long time! (These are some of my favorite pages).

















In addition to the plant book, I'm sure many of you have seen different examples of leaf carving. I've been wanting to try this for a long time. I started with a leaf I had dried from earlier in the fall (which may not have been the best choice). It was definitely more difficult than I first thought it to be. Definitely a lot of room for improvement but I thought it was fun to try. This is my attempt:

Also shown is an example of one of my gift tags for Christmas gifts. I started this one with the idea of holly. (PICTURE COMING SOON!)



I went to the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art at JCCC and I found some work I really enjoy! (Shown: Different work than those displayed at the museum).
Amy Meyers:
Jeremy Blake:

Sandeep Mukherjee:

No comments:

Post a Comment