Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reading Response: How To Think

In How To Think, Ed Boyden gives practical advice on the process of managing your brain resources and developing useful techniques in achieving a higher level of comprehension. I found each point logical, however, there were two that specifically stood out among the rest that I at first questioned; "working backwards from your goal" and "conversation summaries." If one is always working forwards from a goal there is the risk that one may never achieve what one set out to do. Nevertheless, perhaps the risk is worth taking for a "profound" or serendipitous result. In addition to this, I've found that when I have a conversation with someone it can be thought of as rude to always be writing or doodling on a piece of paper. Although it would be useful in remembering certain points, there are times when the paper becomes more interesting and contribution to the conversation dies. After reading these two a second time, (perhaps not effectively following the instruction of point one; "Never read passively") I countered my own questions with the simple logic of both points. Two that I found especially beneficial included; "contingency maps" and "learning how to learn." I had never before heard of a contingency map. Usually, I just "star" the things I think are paramount. "Learning how to learn" is particularly valuable advice, specifically given in a studio/class setting, as everyone develops and processes information in a different way, I think it is important to understand the way I comprehend information to my full potential.

I could expand upon each given area and explain methods of personal improvement. However, in relation to this stage of the project I find "Make Mistakes Quickly" to be the most helpful. It also touches on something I need to work on--taking risks and not be afraid to make initial mistakes. Hopefully, I can learn from my first attempts and cultivate quality ideas before I am too far into the process to correct them.

1 comment:

  1. "Nevertheless, perhaps the risk is worth taking for a "profound" or serendipitous result."

    That's a good way of thinking of that one. Sometimes it's just as important to allow time to wander and discovery and not care about "answers".

    "I could expand upon each given area and explain methods of personal improvement. "

    Oh, I'd like to hear that too.

    ReplyDelete