Wednesday, May 5, 2010

6 Degrees Could Change The World: Final Statement

After watching the movie " 6 Degrees Could Change The World" I was really interested in focusing on specific aspects in each degree. After discussing and "concepting" with Brandon we developed a plan for communicating each level that involved both photography and the creation of a vectored object through the combination of circular elements from the movie (i.e. hamburger bun, wind turbine, wheel, etc...). This would then be placed over images that illustrate the importance of each level based on the transparency of the photography. After a lot of sketches, Brandon and I made a few digital versions that included all of the elements including the "close-up" photography of a specific concept from each level. However, because of the detailed photographs and their combination with the vectored circular object (as well as class critique) we decided that our idea needed to be adjusted, both in composition and by adding an element that seemed to be absent. From this point, we agreed on the importance of the CO2 based on its frequent reference in the movie. We chose to use this as an added element across all of our materials and change our direction almost completely.

With our new direction the still images were placed and shot to communicate with the viewer on a close up, personal level to hopefully connect with the viewer in a different way (not just a picture of the earth, nature, etc...). Conceptually, each photograph illustrates a certain point that seemed to be the most dominant in each degree shown in the movie (Ex/ 1st Degree = fire). Formally, the images were placed within the molecule and arranged by both composition and color. Moving images within the animation kept the same quality but were manipulated by moving the images in motions that corresponded with the photograph. The images were placed in the molecule, not only formally, but also to show how each degree is influenced by CO2 which was then placed over the chosen industrial background image to give the viewer context in an environment as well as the blue color. Using the 6 as more of a design element (which, based on critique, may not have been the best choice due to illegibility) we aligned the text simply and on the right because we felt that the imagery and other elements were more important. The poster included text with useful tips that are practical for the average person (some were taken from the original case's inside as well as other found tips). These were included to support the idea of personal involvement and promoting the movie in concept as well as filling the requirement to include text from the original DVD cover.

The animation left a lot to be desired. We initially began with ambitious ideas that could have been fulfilled with more knowledge of action script and flash (which both Brandon and I were lacking). Because of this, it wasn't as cohesive as it should have been with the other materials. In addition to this, the moving images should have been more emotionally moving and not seem like they were arbitrarily placed within a box and adjusted. However, the movement of the molecule was a nice addition to our theme and used our new knowledge of how to create buttons in Flash.

I felt like the inclusion of the molecule was a good choice and hopefully it corresponded well with the photographs. I really enjoyed the photography part of the process (as usual) and found that taking one element of each degree that Brandon and I had decided on in class and emphasizing it worked well. Using water as the only the stock image and thanks to my willing models, I was able to achieve most of the photographs I had in mind.

Version of Original Poster Idea:

Version of Original CD Cover Idea:

Circular Vectored Object:Original Concept Sketches:

No comments:

Post a Comment