Wednesday, September 15, 2010

NA Project 3: Detailed Narrative

Through the project's first objective, applying the communicative potential of the various communication channels, I chose image as the most important channel to focus my in-depth narrative on. Some of my classmates had started to question (outside of class), what exactly Kibera is, I realized that I obviously had not done a good job in answering some of the seemingly obvious question. It is the largest slum in Nairobi, Kenya. The less-fortunate condition of Kibera often results in violence, unhealthy living conditions, and crime. Focusing on the "building block" aspect of my poster, I chose to communicate the demographics of Kibera by providing the viewer a hands-on context through three-dimensional building blocks that show the community of Kibera through both the people and living conditions. In this, I learned that communicating solely in one channel requires a heightened clarity to the work. I could not rely on text to tell my viewer that this was a slum or that a sense of community is important to the people of Kibera--I had to show it.

The second objective included applying knowledge of narrative manipulation and application across media. I chose to illustrate my images on three-dimensional blocks that provide a non-linear (but could be linear) story about Kibera depending on how one constructs the blocks. Because each of the blocks can be handled and re-arranged, I learned that each must be able to exist on its own as well as maintaining the narrative when placed together. Because the viewer has the ability to alter the order--therefore, altering any sort of linear story--each of the blocks contains an inclusive narrative within itself. However, when placed together, each of the blocks supports one another.

2 comments:

  1. in the famous words of myself during the extruded letterform crit with Terri Nemer, "i wish this could be interactive" AND IT IS! It's nice to see something that is touchable and able to be interacted with in a three-dimensional space. I enjoy the

    It's interesting to look at the photos and how they relate to one another within each block itself, and from block to block. I like the fact that you have a range of photos on each block to where you worked on having each block being able to exist on it's own. One thing i will point out is the vagueness of some of the photos. I dont always know what the photos are of exactly and that makes the communication a little fuzzy but by looking at the other photos and other blocks it's easier to make out what is going on. However, I understand the different parts, the living conditions, the people, the violence, and the overall poverty of the slum.

    Very interesting approach and I applaud you on your strategy to try something different to try and add a new layer of meaning to photos.

    (be careful of the resolution of your photos, EEEK)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interaction! Woohoo! I enjoyed being able to turn the blocks different ways, stack them, and place together what the slum of Kibera is.

    I also think you did a good job with the colors and mix between black and white imagery and colored. The bright colors and photography keep me interested and entertained by the interactivity of the blocks.
    Be careful about your image quality.
    Maybe it's just me (because I know about Kibera and what is exactly going on) But it would be nice to maybe have them building a narrative in a linear way too, by starting from the slum of Kibera and the people, to what they are "building" to. I believe you could use both linear and non-linear approaches to it.

    ReplyDelete