Tuesday, April 5, 2011

DIY: Women's Alliance Sewing Project











Within this project, I chose to focus on a subculture that I had not previously researched. The DIY subculture provided rich content due to their interests and talents. After studying the research gathered by Ian and Brandon, it was apparent that many DIYers shared two traits (among other traits); many knew how to sew and they loved to volunteer. In that, I made a hypothetical extension to the Women's Alliance Bottomless Closet project where used suits are donated to the organization and given to women to use during interviews and in the professional workplace to help them succeed. This project encourages DIYers that know how to sew to donate their time to a local chapter to repair the suits for the women. My short motion sequence would be seen on blogs or as advertising on the internet that DIYers might often frequent. It appeals to the viewer through the use of textures and materials that reference sewing. One of the problems solved through this was the creation of a message that was coded to identify with that specific subculture. Initially, I began with a few different channels that would be the best for this subculture and began immediately considering the copy-writing. This proved to be one of the most successful strategies of creating a tailored message. (Ex/ "Repairing the torn seams") The imagery and textures were added later in the process to emphasize this.

This was a good exploration of developing an emotional piece that was seen in motion. As I learn more about After Effects, I am more able to envision and develop realistic ideas that can take on this form. In that, I am learning how to add layers of information on screen, how to create a linear narrative in motion, as well as other channels of communication such as the such as the use of sound and text that, hopefully, has the ability to catch the eye of the DIYer and resonate with them.



Context:
The video would likely be seen posted to blogs that a DIYer might frequent. In a ideal scenario, the user would see the video posted, become interested, watch the video and then visit the website to find out how they can donate their time to help.


Process Development:


The development of the DIY motion piece began with a brainstorm list of different channels, questions, and organizations.

These ideas were developed into proposals that chose specific channels and organizations and rough copy that would be used. This also included the first round of sketches.
The next step was to expand on the idea of repairing the torn seams by brainstorm sketching different copuwriting as well as imagery and channels that could be used with the same idea.
At this point, the idea was put into a rough, digital storyboard that outlined the basic copy and motion.
This storyboard was refined with added textures, colors and sequences.

From the storyboards, the piece was taken directly into after effects and developed in motion.
Each sequence was evaluated and refined into the final piece. For example: the closet sequence did not bring a reference to the graphic quality of the human icons was not found in the closet sequence, the use of the scissors in the word torn was illegible, and the handwritten copy developed into the use of a digital typeface that complimented the quality of the sequence.



1 comment:

  1. nice video, bethany! i like the object-based typography.

    ReplyDelete