Monday, August 24, 2009

Why Graphic Design?

I will not pretend that there was a specific point in my life where I knew I wanted to study Graphic Design. I have always been interested in different aspects of visual language. Not only through design, but through human interaction by means of verbal, non-verbal and visual communication. My decision to study in this area was prompted by its apparent impact on the daily lives of individuals, known and unknown. Design reaches and relates to the public, I believe, more so than almost all other forms of art. I have been intrigued with the Graphic Designer's relationship to type and image, exploration of composition and form, as well as use of color to further connect thoughts and ideas to the viewer. I am interested in the different strategies used by designers to market and sell products as well as the various methods of problem solving and arrangement that strengthen and weaken a design or work of art. Its ability to communicate an emotion and connect with the viewer, even without the use of text, through illustration, composition and color, show the impact a straightforward design can have, while the various methods of representing this communication shows its versatility. I have always known I wanted to study art, however this specific area has provided me with a wide range of possibility and interest that I personally consider would be absent in another area of study. I look forward to learning as much as I can this coming semester as I further explore what becoming a Graphic Designer means.

No comments:

Post a Comment